- 10 kgs Pork trim 70% lean (That means 70 % meat and 30% Fat)
- If you are only making 5 kgs of sausages just cut the ingredients down by half
- Salt 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed (ground)
- 20 gms allspice
- 50 gms crushed garlic
- 45 gms ground white pepper
- Curing salt (use supplier recommended amount for 10 kgs meat)
Lets get sausage-making
- Mince the meat through your mincer using the larger holed mincer plate.
- Add ingredients.
- Mix in well and now mince through the smaller mincer plate .
- Mix in well and now mince through the smaller mincer plate.
- Place the sausage emulsion into the sausage filler and put the size nozzle on the filler that will fit your casing.
- Natural hog or sheep casing or collagen casings (known as Artificial Casings)
- Turn the handle on the sausage filler and feed the emulsion into the casing.
- Don’t fill the casing to full as it will not be able to be tied off.
- Feel the sausage as it is coming from the filler and it should be comfortably soft to the touch.
- Once you have filled out the casing, tie each end with a simple knot.
- Twist off into lengths of about 20cm. Do not separate.
Cooking Method (Smoke Oven)
- Preheat the oven to 70°C.
- Place product on racks, place in oven and smoke for about 3 hours.
- Increase temperature to 80°C until sausage reaches cooked temperature 74-75°C.
- To check if the product is cooked, take one from the shelf. If it snaps in ½ when you bend it, it should be cooked.
- Internal temperature should be 74-75°C.
- The good old taste test will also let you know.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Refrigerate and use within 1 week or freeze.
- Product can also be vacuum packed if a machine is available.